I suggest you ...

Allow resource-specific holidays/vacations

We have people in different countries working on the same projects. It would be nice if each person/resource could have an individual set of holidays or vacations assigned to them, and then to have these days/periods marked in a special color on the task bars to which the resources have been assigned (and on the availability-chart bars for those resources).
In this way those resources' non-availability would be clearly signaled on the chart, without any need for automatic lengthening/shortening of task duration when such a resource is assigned or removed from a task.
To summarize: The company-wide holidays would continue to work as before, by removing available working days from the Gantt calendar; whereas resource-specific holidays would merely be signaled by specially coloring a portion of the task bar to which the resource has been assigned. (If multiple resources have been assigned to a task and only one of those resources has custom holidays during the task period, the special coloring could appear e.g. in a lighter hue).

230 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    John HuntJohn Hunt shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

They still haven't done this? :(

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

This would be great. I really feel this is a huge flaw in the system.

• LYLY commented  · 

Perhaps an alternative solution is that the administrator of each project could be given the liberty of "blocking out" certain dates so nothing can get assigned on those no-work days? This would be an independent decision that will not affect other project timelines. This might potentially help to alleviate the frustration of not being to manoeuvre the dates around exceptional situations? Whatever the solution, just really keen to see something to work around this soon!

• Anonymous commented  · 

I agree with this! Its a mess in my planning if someone takes 2 days off in the middle of a project and the rest of the team will work as planned. I wouldnt only do different coloring, when someone has vacation days it should be impossible to add tasks on them.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I had just built out a separate project for days off, then moved them in to each project as I have dev work broken out by engineer. I placed in days off as milestones above their tasks, but there is no use in having it as a milestone because they are taking those days off and I have to go back and check off the days off as they happen, if their task line item could grey out on the days they have off I will be able to scope out projects more efficiently (ie. it takes 5 full dev days to complete a task and a developer has one of those days off, I will know without effort that I need to push back delivery by a day).

PLEASE DO THIS!

• AlbertAlbert commented  · 

Is it solved? Or any plan to improve this setting?

• WendyWendy commented  · 

I was just typing the same thing!

Feedback and Knowledge Base